The ‘Wissenschaftliche Einrichtung Oberstufen-Kolleg’ is an action research department of Bielefeld University and co-operating with an experimental upper secondary school ‘Versuchsschule Oberstufen-Kolleg‘ (years 11-13, leading to A-levels).
Together, teachers from the experimental school and researchers from the action research department carry out research and development projects. This cooperation is based on the concept of teachers’ action research (cp. Altrichter, Feldman, Posch & Somekh, 2008) and covers a wide range of issues, such as
- inclusion, dealing with heterogeneity, internal differentiation;
- intercultural learning;
- educational processes in the medium of science (scientific literacy);
- young adults’ courses of education and their development of the ability
- didactical and curricular innovations in upper secondary schools;
- teaching and learning processes and learning outcomes;
- transitions between school and university.
As members of the action research department, researchers also participate in several of the experimental school’s committees, publish and transfer research findings and teaching resources, and cooperate with other schools and universities. Since they are staff members of Bielefeld University’s Faculty of Educational Science as well, they are also actively involved in teacher training in Bielefeld. Furthermore, there are connections with ‘BiProfessional’, a teacher training project financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
Altrichter, H., Feldman, A., Posch, P. & Somekh, B. (2008). Teachers Investigate their Work. An introduction to action research across the professions. London & New York: Routledge